Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Sweet Potato & Parsnip Pancakes...kind of???

I am so excited about tonight's recipe. I got it from a beautiful new cookbook called "Clean Food" by Terry Walters. She is an IIN Graduate (so am I) and she is from Connecticut. The book is so great. I will share my attempt at this recipe but I will tell you what I ended up doing. Instead of pancakes I did more of a scramble. It is delicious, if I do say so myself. My mixture did not hold together well unless I used loads of oil. So I altered it a bit. Check it out...

2 medium peeled sweet potatoes
3 medium peeled parsnips
1 medium onion
2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed, soaked in 1/2 cup of water for 10 minutes
2 Tablespoons of Mirin (Japanese cooking wine available in asian section of the supermarket)
Grapeseed oil
1/2 Cup of Cornmeal
Sea Salt & Pepper to taste

Grate sweet potatoes, parsnips and onion in a food processor or by hand. Place in a large bowl. Add the soaked flaxseeds, mirin and the sprinkle the cornmeal. Heat pan with enough oil to cover the bottom of pan. Scramble the mixture. Now here is where Terry has you make into balls and flatten to pancakes. I just had trouble so I scrambled the mixture for about 7 minutes. Add salt & pepper to taste. Place scrambled mixture in a cassorole dish. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. Serve with greens. Delicious.
Terry's book is a great holiday gift. Check it out if you can. Be well, Laura L.

No comments:

Post a Comment